Posted on Monday, January 22, 2024Last update

Badlands start treating us good - my Orcs & Goblins army

The Badlands sang by The Boss (clearly an Orc&roll star, given his strength derivated from his Greenskin heritage) are home of multiple Orcs & Goblins tribes, and mine is no exception. During this fifteen years of hobby, my first army grew costantly and is still growing; we played numerous battles, we lost a very lot of them but always with an Orcish grin on our green face, and the will to take our victory in another, glorious slaughter.

With the release of Warhammer: The Old World (from now on WTOW), I take the chance to make and inventory of my Greenskin miniatures. I think they're the army of which I have more miniatures; however, as you'll see, I didn't paint pretty much anything of it yet. Maybe the future will se my Orcs all painted on the table: it would be an awesome view! Something still need to be build, also: this is one of my goals for the 15th Year Hobby Celebration.

Well, time to go.

Waaagh! Alfray
Da best Waaagh! since Gorbad. Est. 2009

This family pic is the result of an evening of assembly. I know it's nothing compared to other wargamers' armies, but I'm pretty proud of my Greenskins, and I remember lots of epic battles fought with them: this is what pushes me in the hobby, and this is what makes Warhammer Fantasy my favourite game ever.

Close up of the pic at high res (you can scroll to see the miniatures):


But who's who? Waaagh! Alfray is composed of multiple regiments.

Alfray himself and Amarok The Shaman lead the charge!

This regiment of 40 Orc Boyz is my so-called Ist generation: my first miniatures! In my early concept they would be painted in red if members of the Fists of Gork, Alfray's tribe, or blue if from the Faces of Mork, the first nearby tribe he conquered. I've had them since the beginning, and Alfray himself is originally the Champion of the regiment

My Black Orcs. I bought them at the beginning of my journey, as well; the red ones are still from Alfray's tribe, when the yellow guys have their own story. Did you notice in their unit the Lustrian standard?

In the background of the Waaagh!, the yellow tribe is called Zorkan's Zchizoids a Black Orc warband long lost in the jungles of Lustria. They're guided by Zorkan the Zcrewy, their Warboss, who lost his mind due to the poisonous ichors of the strange creatures of the New World. With this character I played my only official tournament in the GW store here in Verona, years ago: a Heroes-only arena (in which I remember won a devastating Tomb Kings flying Hero). The Shaman behind him is in reality another Orc Boy I built as a wizard in the first times, and he was the boss of the Faces of Mork

This were my oldest units and the ones which have their own background since my early hobby years. But the army's composed of various other regiments.

On the left side there are the Snotlings, the Orc Boar Boyz (the majority of which still need to be built; I love the classic sculpt, but I have 10 new models and I think I'll use the new base sizes to better arrange this miniatures, which overlaps their current bases), my two Orc Boar Chariots, 10 Goblin Wolf Riders and, above all, my Savage Orcs. I have 10 spare miniatures and two brand new boxes I still have to build (you can see the boxes in the background)

The rearguard. Here I have some (a lot of) Orc Boyz, my Arrer Boyz and the giant Aracnarok Spider alongside my Spider Riders. The big miniature is just partially build... very partially

My Wivern! God I love Wyverns. I need to repair this specific model I bought from a previous owner already painted. Here there is also the majority of my Goblin Wolf Riders: I always wanted some of them because I think they're a great light cavalry, but I never bought them until two or three years ago. Suddenly I found myself with almost 30 of them! Last, my war machines in the back, ready to shoot and inevitably miss the enemy lines
The Goblin district! I only have Night Goblins, because I love them, and never liked (or used in battle) "normal" Goblins; however I could want some of them just for collection's sake. Here I have some classic sculpt Night Goblins and lots of monopose Goblins from multiple Battle for Skull Pass boxed sets. My only two Trolls, poor them, still come from Skull Pass (you can see some close up pics of one of them here). Then you can see some Fanatics, spare Squigs (I use them in Mordheim for my Orc Warband) and my Night Goblins Heroes. On the left side there are four unfinished Greenskin markers: I prepared them for an old Mighty Empires campaign we never started, but maybe this is the right year...

* * *

Here they are! Alfray's Orcs and Goblins need a lot of work, but are always ready for the battle. The campaign Grimbeorn have in mind for 2024 will be the perfect opportunity to do some Greenskin hobby...

...under the wise supervision of one of my favourite heroes!

Here comes General Gobbaparte!


No comments:

Post a Comment