Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2023Last update

Ending 2023 with some hobby musings

Here we are, 2023 is ending. It was a very intense year for me and my wife since we became parents of Beatrice in August, but I'm kinda happy of how my hobby projects are running on, and ready for a new year.

2024 is gonna be a GREAT hobby year, since it will mark the 15th anniversary of our first dip into the hobby world - and for "us" I obviously mean Grimbeorn, Michele and me. Grimbeorn and I are ready for an intense year of hobby celebration, and we're preparing a list of things we want to achieve. We're experts in making lists and then forget about them, like any true wargamer; however, this special occasion must be appropriately celebrated.

During the first quarter of 2024, GW is going to release Warhammer: The Old World, and I admit that I'm particularly hyped for this new game (or new Warhammer Fantasy edition, as you prefer). The fact that it coincides with our celebration is obviously a divine sign from mighty Sigmar himself: we MUST take on with our hobby and mark this epic year with some imperishable and immortal memories! The twin tailed comet shines upon us ☄️

* * *

So, what did I achieve during 2023, and what am I gonna do during 2024? List of scattered hobby musings:

  •  I reorganized my Mordheim Warbands and put all blog posts about Mordheim in one place. During this Christmas holidays I played a game for the last Italian National Campaign Oltre lo specchio, with my Undead, and they're one of the first projects on my workbench for 2024. These days I'm rewatching The Lord of the Rings, and my Mordheim Dwarfs too are waiting for me in their box
  • I absolutely want to finish the series of posts about our Wolf of Vengeance WFB Campaign. We still have to play the last epic battle - both mine and Grimbeorn's personal deeds stopped us from playing, but this grants us the chance to play our biggest battle ever during the 15th hobby anniversary celebration... another sign from the gods! (But maybe from Gork & Mork this time, as gods of Greenskin procrastination). The post series however is almost ready, so I want to close it and recollect everything here on the Lair
  • Since Michele moved to Rome, I'm orphan of my historical wargaming pal. However, I'm painting something new to use it in my school projects. During 2024 I absolutely want to paint some 10mm Gauls I bought three years ago: they're going to be the enemy for my Celtiberians, which are still without a proper opponent
  • That devil Michele may be far from Verona, but his long shadow reaches my mind and seeds some controversial new hobby projects... such as a Thirty Years War epic scale army or something I could use in Saga. I admit that I had a dream for a couple years of buying some Arab miniature, both in 15mm to match my Normans (which are still in their packs, sealed), and in 28mm to play Saga indeed... or to make an Arabian Mordheim Warband, which I feel could be particularly appropriated since the Tomb Kings of Khemri are returning with The Old World, and the Mordheim Italian community is translating all Khemri and related rules in a new, spectacular fan-made supplement
  • During this last months I read some of H. P. Lovecraft's books, and I absolutely loved them. I've always been keen on the Chtulhu universe, and the roleplaying game, but never read anything from the creator himself. Well, I desperately want to run a Chtulhu campaing. However, since I think this could be really difficult to achieve during 2024 (maybe I could run just one or two one-shots), I want to include some lovecraftian vibes in my WFRP campaigns. And I'm gonna do it...
  • ... especially with Grimbeorn in the new solo campaign we recently started. Maybe I'll write about this in a subsequent post. This is one of the last points in this lists, because I want my personal 15th hobby anniversary celebration to be particularly focused on the first two games with which I started in 2009: Warhammer Fantasy Battle and Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. I'm currently running two parties playing The Enemy Within WFRP 4th edition campaign: the most epic campaign ever. We're gonna go deep into the grimdark and perilous Empire. This is my very first resolution for 2024
  • Last but not least, I'm always behind with my WFB projects. Recently I started designing the Empire with my Mighty Empires set, and finishing it would be a nice deed for the celebration. Grimbeorn and I left behind our Crusade project, mostly because we're waiting for The Old World and its new rules to decide how to go further. But, talking about hobby, it's time to catch up with my Greenskin projects: they're MY army, in the end, and I want 2024 to be a green year. We decided to reboot the first campaign we ever played in 2009... more on this later. Probably I'll start with building my Savage Orcs: this could be another one of the first things I'll do in 2024

So, as always lots of things, but I'm very excited for this new year full of hobby and personal adventure. See you soon, happy new year 🥂 and, as always, Waaagh!

No comments:

Post a Comment